Friday, March 28, 2008

National Health Care Costs / Percentage of GDP


I was at a family dinner last weekend, and one of my relatives who works in the medical field mentioned that those who are begging for "universal health care better be careful for what they ask for." While I think the comment is fundamentally flawed, because I'm not sold yet that the decision is between what we currently have and universal health care, I firmly believe what we have right now is not working.

The graph, from this report referenced in a blog posting from Krugman speaks to the underlying dilemma. I think the argument should be that simply put, doing nothing, as we have not done pretty much for the time frame of this chart, is not working, and we need to now do something. I think for it's faults, (including the lack of a full mandate), Obama's plan is a good start, and is better than anything that has been proposed from the other side.


No comments: