Monday, June 20, 2005

At What Point Does This Become Unacceptable

I see this, and many of us who make the netroots our news home see this on a nearly daily basis across the nation. I am deeply troubled each time I hear it, and say a prayer for the soldier and his/her families. I've cried watching the roll call on Nightline. And the 10 second blurbs on the local news when a soldier, resident of a community in Ohio makes the first few headlines. I realize I am not doing enough. I am outraged, but as yet, am not doing enough.

And yet, I think I am worlds ahead of a good chunk of the population who are immune to this view, and wonder what will it take for the realization of what is happening to sink into the consciousness of the population at large. Is there such an immunity, or aversion to seeing the truth, or stark revulsion of the truth that they simply are not willing to acknowledge this reality? When does the tipping point come that we believe we've had enough?

No comments: